Saturday, May 2, 2009

First book!

Jackson and I have been working on reading since January, and the other day in the car on the way to Harry's speech appt., he picked up a beginning reader and I encouraged him to read it to me. I was amazed when he actually did it! So to celebrate, we decided to have a "pancakes with whipped cream for dinner" party. He asked, "Can Charlie come?" (Charlie is the 7 yr.-old neighbor that Jackson adores), so we invited the Stokes (Betsy in green, Charlie back right, Chuck and Claire-Ellen front right) to join us:
Jackson w/ "Freddie's Spaghetti" - his first whole book to read!
*After this experience, I do not recommend teaching a 4-yr.-old boy to read! I would have waited until he was 5 (Nov. 10), which I plan to do w/ Harry, but when I got pregnant I realized that it may not happen next year in my sleep-deprived, adjusting-to-three state, so I went for it. I think it was a lot harder for him (and me) than it could have been, not b/c of comprehension, but b/c of his wiggly boyishness. We still have about 20 lessons to go in this book (next time I think I'll try this one to compare), and of course he's still very much a beginning reader. But we think he's pretty amazing!

4 comments:

  1. Go Jackson! I hope we get to hear you read soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow thats great. Jackson read this:

    You are so cool!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's amazing how much like Daddy Jackson looks in this picture!

    ReplyDelete