Saturday, May 8, 2010

Name That Dog







The day started off badly enough, I went to play in a charity golf tournament. Badly because charity means $$. I had played very well the day before, we had a guy who drives the ball 400 yards (longer than many holes), and it was our home course. As it went I was too stiff from the previous outing to hit the ball, the long hitting ringer we brought in lost most of his drives in parts of the golf course I think are not safe (he sure didn't go look for them), and all the winners where also at home.
BUT, as I was standing over a tricky-must-make-six-foot-down-hill-double-breaker, with my partners biting their nails as the momentum for the entire round hung in the balance, my phone rang. I had to take it because it was in the cargo pocket of my pants and the vibration caused my knee to jerk--bad for the smooth putting stroke required for tricky-must-make-six-foot-down-hill-double-breakers.
It was Sarah who was supposed to be safely in the middle of the woods hiking and saving $$, since I was at a $Charity$ event spending it. Alas, an American entrepreneur had placed himself in her path with the very item that would cause her to pile on the car binders--dogs.

I was in a bind of the most severe constriction. Instead of being home doing Saturday projects I was playing golf; instead of making money rounding at the hospital I was $charitying$; instead of maintaining my resolute resistance to dogs I agreed to take one on.

So, we are the proud possessors of a nameless hound. That looks like above, noting that the one picture was rotated when I added it. BB

8 comments:

  1. This is a very cute pup, Mom and Dad! Well done. We're thinking of names. Harry is on a roll: Caller Baller, Knocker Bocker, Shehi-Weehi, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How about Amity? Nickname Amy - but isn't that U. John and A. Karen's retriever's name?

    Been workshopping with Cream-colored names, in honor of your love of cream in your tea and her color. Creme Anglaise - Anna? Ha! May want to make you eat all the time. . . Buttercream? Nickname Bu. . . wait a second.

    We're working on it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tonight's contribution at dinner: Butterscotch. Problem is, the only nicknames are Butt, Scotch, or BS.
    The boys suggested Mrs. Butterscotch.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Harry continutes to exploit the possibilities of his rhyming formula in coming up with names for the new pup. I suggested Thatcher; Harry thought Gatcher was better--actually Gatcher Catcher ("then he can catch things"). Jackson suggested Snitch; Harry: What about Bitch? Later Harry suggested Samuel would be a good name, but Jackson told him that's a boy's name. No, it's a girl's, Harry said. After the "Boy", "No, girl" went back and forth for a while, I went in to tell Harry that Samuel is indeed a boy's name--his own name, actually. "Well, what about Vlamuel?" MDW

    ReplyDelete
  5. So far serious considerations have been: Cody,s alltime favorite Havilah (Havi for short), Half and Half and Honey (Haffie), and Maggie Thatcher (MDW's and BB say Thatcher, but I'm leaning toward Maggie). Sooooo.

    ReplyDelete
  6. While this seems like betrayal of M's Maggie Thatcher, Haffie is awfully great as an Essie dog. I think that's my vote.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know I'm way late getting in on the convo, but I've got to say Yay for the hound of earnshaw!! She's beautiful! I liks Thatcher and CMJ.

    David

    ReplyDelete
  8. She looks like Sally to me.
    Renee

    ReplyDelete