Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Jacksonlocutions: Moral Pedagogy Edition

*****Scenario 1 by Ruthie:

This morning after a discussion about sin and forgiveness, Jackson offered an example.

Jackson: "Like if I take someone else's watergun and hide it in my house."

Ruthie: "Exactly right. That would be a sin. When you sin, you want to tell Mama and Daddy, and then we'll ask God for forgiveness. Then we'll take the watergun to the owner and apologize. And God forgives you and forgets all about your sin. And you'll feel better!"

Jackson: "And you will have clothes."

(I'm assuming this had something to do with Adam & Eve?)

*****Scenario 2 by Matthew:

Driving back from the Spa to Austin, Jackson asked me to tell him a story. He was very talkative and somehow got us into a conversation about the differences between true and pretend stories, pretend stories and lies. He knew that all the stories in the Bible were true, but was a little confused as to why: "The story about Noah is true because he was nice to the animals."

So brilliant moral tutor that I am, I seized the opportunity to clarify with a simple hypothetical: What if Daddy had a hamburger for lunch, but I told someone I had eaten carrots for lunch. If I did this without wanting the person to really believe that I had eaten carrots, it might be a story or a joke. But if I wanted the person to really think I'd eaten carrots, that would be a lie, since I had actually had a hamburger. Does that make sense? "Yeah, Daddy, and if you eat potatoes that will be true because potatoes are good for you."

Anyone having difficulty teaching these concepts, just send the kids to us for a few days.

*****Scenario 3: Addendum by Matthew

Undaunted by confusion and failure, moral instruction continues apace. Tonight at dinner, as Ruthie placed Jackson's plate in front of him:

Jackson: Ewwww.

Ruthie: Jackson, if you can't say something nice about your dinner, don't say anything.

Jackson (immediately): That's a lovely dinner, Mama.

*****Scenario 4: Addendum by Ruthie

(one last add-on before we post! this post could go on and on, as this type thing is every hour)

Jackson (after seeing Harry's preschool co-op craft): "Wow! Harry did that all by himself?"

Ruthie: "Well, Mrs. Shuffield helped him; he squirted the glue."

Jackson to Harry (hugging him): "Good job, Harry! That's great!"

Ruthie (proud of this display of brotherly affection and pride): "Jackson, that's so kind how you're loving your brother."

Jackson (to himself, as he walks out of the room, w/ smug tone): "Harry did that, but I can do more better."

6 comments:

  1. Jacksonlocutions = good times.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Look, Keri! We're reading the blog at the same time! How fun. So what's up? MDW

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, not much, you know, trying to get Sophie to bed, waiting for Cody to get home from the hospital at 8:45 p.m. (but he did come home for dinner, which was wonderful...he's not usually THIS late!) Whassup wid you?!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My fav is the 'I can do better' quote. What a first-born!

    ReplyDelete