Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Belated Easter Tidings

Hello, fam. Well, since I haven't posted on the blog in ages (FOR SHAME!), I thought this would be as good a time as any. (To be quite honest, I haven't even checked it in ages, but Ruthie recently signed me up for the email updates, which provided the jump start I obviously needed.) Anyway, after church on Sunday while Karen was finishing the preparation of a delicious Easter lunch, I was reading some of the latest blog entries to Homer, Karen and Mary. (The one about Jackson claiming that drunkenness leads to boulder-throwing and lengthy sleeping had them all in stitches. Of course, it just sounded like a regular Tuesday night to me.) After I had read a number of them and shown them the posted photos, Karen said, "So, I don't really understand the point of a blog. I mean, the only person I ever blogged to was Meme. And that wasn't so much blogging as just calling her to talk." Well, we all went into hysterics over that one (even Karen had a chuckle once she realized what she had said). And then I told them that her technologically-challenged statement had reminded me of something Meme did about a decade ago.

During my freshman year of college (and after several very expensive long-distance bills -- sorry, Homer!), I suggested to Meme that we communicate more by email. Having just recently been introduced to the world of electronic mail, Meme was more than happy to oblige. (And I felt fortunate to have such a hip grandparent.) A few days later, she called me and asked if I had received her email. When I told her I hadn't, she said, "Well, you should have it in the next day or two." I asked her what that meant, and she said that she had just sent it and that I should therefore be getting it soon. I just assumed she didn't realize how quickly emails could be sent and received, so I let it go. Two days later, I stopped by the campus mailroom to check my box, and there, printed off and tucked into a stamped and addressed envelope, was Meme's email. After several fits of laughter on my way back to the dorm, I called her to say that I had, in fact, finally received her email, to which she replied, "Oh, wonderful! But I have to say, I'm not too impressed with email. I really thought it would be easier."

BB and Aunt Sarah arrived for Easter lunch right after I told the story, so I repeated it to them. Sarah suggested I post it on the blog as an Easter tribute to Meme since she loved the holiday so much. So, I hope you all had a glorious Easter, and here's to Meme, who gets to have Easter every day now!

I miss and love you all, and I can't wait for you to see my latest avant-garde boulder art project in the backyard.
Sus

5 comments:

  1. Sus, you have me in tears. I've been missing Meme so much, particularly with MC's love of baby dolls. I know Meme would have delighted in this and I keep wanting to send her picture after picture of our little girl. Okay, now I'm weeping. Thanks a lot, Sus. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.S. If someone wants me to add them on to get emailed when something is posted, let me know. . .

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just read this and pretty much ditto what Ruthie said...joyfully sad tears, joyful for her, sad for us. Thanks, Sus. I love you.

    ReplyDelete