Saturday, September 29, 2007

"Miss Pooley, may I go to the bathroom?"

Hi Future Fam,

I recently visited David in my new favorite city, Pittsburgh. It was, of course, wonderful to see David, and I was also happy to see where we'd be living after December. I was a little apprehensive about our quarters (A studio? Doesn't that mean that guests can see the fridge and the shower at the same time?!), but was pleasantly surprised at the arrangement. The building is an older one with a lot of character--creaky wood floors, thick crown molding around the windows, an arched entryway--and I like how the antique furniture looks in the place. The landlord did good things with half-walls and doors, so that one can cook in the kitchen and not see the bedroom or bathroom. There are three windows that let in lots of morning light, and since it's on the seventh floor, we can see steeples towering over Shadyside; when the windows are open, we can hear the church bells ring. It's a little dollhouse, and I love it.

For the past few weeks, I've been substitute teaching. (Guest teaching, as they call it now.) I signed up for everything from Kindergarten to 12th grade, all subjects. Not that I'm an expert in Calculus, Woodworking or ROTC, but it would be fun to try them, and I've found that teachers do not have subs teach anything substantial; it is usually an independent work period. Last week, I was in HS History, Jr High Math, Music and English. One day, I had access to the Internet, which allowed me to research wedding photographers while the kids studied. The students are mostly attentive and sweet. There is the occasional smart-mouthed jr high fellow, and after I've quelled the urge to show him that despite appearances, I could take him out, I wrote him up in the class notes for the teacher to deal with the following day.

I'm looking forward to seeing y'all--or many of y'all--in Phoenix soon!

6 comments:

  1. Lynn, you are awesome! Thanks for such a great snapshot of Pittsburg and substitute teaching. We cannot wait to visit your dollhouse!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lynn, you write really well. That was fun to read. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad to hear that you love the place up there, Lynn! Ruthie and I were apprehensive about our new place here, but it's turned out to be quite cozy. These are such pleasant surprises. My vote is that you just take the jr high dudes out. It only takes a one or two, then you've got a rep and everything's smooth sailing. That's how the west was won--not by writing people up. Alternatively, you could call in the Pushup Club.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an enjoyable post to read! I can't wait to hear more of your Pittsburg life. I think there's something magical about that first year in particular. How fun to look forward to it, to have those memories to create. I'm feeling much that way with having young children, that I'm experiencing a "magical" time, and I'm soaking it up. Marriage and kids is SO FUN!

    ReplyDelete
  5. p.s. The PushUp Club came through for me when I taught jr. high. Its the only way to go.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I subbed Jr. High, too, when I was about 21 and looked about 16. I didn't have too intimidating of a presence back then, and my first day was a disaster...ask me about the gory details sometime!

    ReplyDelete