Friday, November 13, 2009

My Horns on a Roll!!!

This season I'm finally taking an interest in Longhorn football before they make it to the Rose Bowl. I was walking across campus one Saturday, the air was crisp, and hundreds of burnt orange fans were streaming past me. It just seemed like a day for football. So I went home and watched my Horns beat Colorado. I've been hooked since then, and after 5 years at UT, worked it out for Jackson and I to go to a football game. Folks, we even tailgated before the game, so it was a fully authentic college football experience. (When I say "tailgated," I mean that a group of us from Government ate breakfast tacos on a patch of campus grass. We stood around a mini-cooler. But a few folks had beers, so it was still legit.) At any rate, Jackson was still a little young to enter into the experience fully, but he had fun nonetheless. I kept him engaged with Texas-sized corndogs, lemonade, and cotton candy. He also liked the cannon that's fired whenever my Horns score. At any rate, I'm really hoping for a national championship this year. Given that I am such an unhinged football fan, it would mean the world to me to have national championships bookend my years at UT. So right now I'm trying to decide whether I should prioritize praying for that or that I'll actually get a job.

3 comments:

  1. Hook 'em Horns. We're loyal to the Tide, but we detest Nick Saban, and personally I think TX and FL are worlds better than the Tide.

    ReplyDelete
  2. and it wouldn't be bad to get a job in another place where football is life. ; ) but, honestly, we aren't holding our breath.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You were obviously never traumatized by all those preadolescent, rabid fans (my schoolmates) of 'your Horns' our first go round with Austin. They pestered this poor youth simply because he had connections with Arkansas, even though, prior to moving to Austin I had no idea that AR and TX even played each other. Still, I have many fun memories of going to UT games, loading up with abandoned, collectible plastic cups, and listening to that great marching band. I'll fill in with prayers for your job while you are distracted.

    ReplyDelete