Sunday, July 8, 2007

Jacksonlocutions

Here are a few of my recent favorites:

The other day Ruthie and the boys got back from running errands, and I was upstairs studying. Jackson immediately ran to the bottom of the stairs and yelled up to me, "Hey, Daddy, come talk to me. I'm a male!"

Ruthie often has to tell Jackson not to say her name repeatedly when he's asking for something. Recently when she called his name he responded, "Mama, don't be saying my name over and over."

Another funny parroting story: I thought JRW might warm up to having his hair washed if I let him wash mine. He thought this was a good idea, so I asked him what we needed to do. "First," he said, "you play with letters," and he dumped all his bath letters out for me. As he began to pour water over my head, he bent over to look me in the eye and said cheerfully, "Now don't cry, Daddy. If you don't cry, you get to watch Elmo!"

Ruthie couldn't get the iron to work as we got ready for church this morning. Jackson walked in and said, "Mama, it's not working?" When she said that it was not, Jackson reached up, poked at the steam button, and turned the dial. Then he said, "It's okay," and walked out. A second later he poked his head back in and said, "You're welcome."

Ah, but Jackson's capacity for role playing extends much further than the paltry powers of "Daddy at Bathtime" or "Bob the Builder." When R and I searched in vain for keys the other day, he assured us, "I'll find it. I'm God."

And this final one comes under the heading "Conversations I never thought to think I'd never have."
[While changing JRW's diaper]
JRW: (Holding the diaper rash cream and moving it like a puppet) "Hi, Daddy, I'm Mr. Diaper Rash Cream."
Me: Well, hello, Mr. Diaper Rash Cream, how are you today?
JRW: I'm doing fine. I want to go on Jackson's bottom, please.

5 comments:

  1. That last one made me laugh long and hard. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. HA! I was chuckling through all of these, but the 'I'm God' and the diaper rash cream ones made me crack up! Jackson, you are so great! We miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are HILARIOUS, Matthew! Thanks for sharing. I can picture him saying all of these things. We miss y'all!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jackson, you're amazing! I can't wait to see you again and get to experience your wit and wisdom in person!

    ReplyDelete