Tuesday, January 8, 2008

An Easier (and Better) Bran Muffin, p.24 of May/June

These were truly fabulous muffins, and after trying my 3rd recipe in this Cooks Illustrated compilation I'm wondering why I'm reviewing these recipes. I mean, it's Cook's Illustrated. They've reviewed dozens of recipes to get to this one.

And these bran muffins are marvelous, worth me writing out the recipe for anyone who doesn't have this cookbook. They are SO good. But I must say not easier (as in faster) than the bran muffins I've made before; I think they call it easier because you don't have to go to the health food store. MAKE THEM! Both the texture and flavor were perfect. And thanks again, Bill.

Another note: Keri figured out that each muffin has about 8 grams of fat, and I used full fat everything, so next I'll try half fat butter and low fat yogurt. I think those egg yolks are really needed, though.

1 c. raisins (I used white raisins, which I think is better in bran muffins)
1 tsp water
2 1/4 c. All-Bran Original Cereal (we didn't have enough so used 1/2 c. wheat germ)
1 1/4 c. unbleached all-purpose flour
1/2 c. whole wheat flour
2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. table salt
1 large egg plus 1 large egg yolk
2/3 c. packed light brown sugar
3 T mild or light molasses
1 tsp vanilla extract
6 T unsalted butter, melted and cooled
1 3/4 c. plain whole milk yogurt

1. Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 400 degrees. Spray standard-sized muffin pan with nonstick spray. Combine raisins and water and microwave them with plastic wrap w/ steam vents for 30 seconds. Let them stand for about 5 min. and then dry with paper towel.

2. Process half of the bran cereal in food processor until finely ground. Whisk flours, baking soda, and salt in large bowl to combine. Whisk egg and yolk together in medium bowl until well combined and light colored, about 20 seconds. Add sugar, molasses, and vanilla; whisk until mixture is thick, about 30 seconds. Add melted butter and whisk to combine; add yogurt and mix to combine. Stir in cereal and let mixture sit until even moistened, about 5 minutes.

3. Add wet ingredients to dry and gently mix just until combined and evenly moistened. Gently fold in raisins, divide into muffin tins, and bake about 16 to 20 minutes.

Makes 12 muffins. Best bran muffin EVER.

No comments:

Post a Comment