Friday, April 4, 2008

A fast Cooks Illustrated recipe! It has been found!

The recipe book has drawn me in again, this time with the words "15-minute" and "fudge" - great combination. Go to page 22 of Jan/Feb and you'll find "Simplifying Fudge"; It honestly was easy and fast and marvelous. I made the varient of the original, Chocolate Walnut Fudge, which looks even easier.

15-minute Rocky Road Fudge
makes about 2 1/2 pounds (I doubled this using a 9 x 13 pan, worked perfectly)

16 oz semisweet chocolate, chopped fine (I used choco chips)
2 oz unsweetened chocolate, chopped fine
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/8 tsp table salt
1 14-oz. can sweetened condensed milk
1 Tbsp. vanilla extract
1 c. miniature marshmellows
1 c. coarsely chopped peanuts (I used "party peanuts" w/salt b/c I couldn't find unsalted at the store, and it seems fine to me)
1/2 c. semisweet chocolate chips

note on chocolate - they suggest using Ghirardelli, which is what I did. I imagine any good chocolate is great. . .

1. Fit foil into 8"square pan, allowing excess to overhang sides. Coat with nonstick cooking spray.

2. Toss chocolates, baking soda, and salt into heatproof bowl until baking soda is evenly distributed. Stir in sweetened condensed milk and vanilla. Set bowl over saucepan containing simmering water (i.e. make your own double boiler b/c most probably aren't big enough for all this esp. if you double it. I used a big metal bowl over a simmer saucepan of water.) Stir w/ rubber spatula until chocolate is almost fully melted and a few small pieces remain, 2 to 4 minutes (make sure you get it off the heat before it's melted. otherwise the chocolate will start to separate if it's overcooked and you'll have greasy fudge)

3. Remove the bowl from heat and continue to stir until smooth. Add the marshmallows, peanuts, and choco. chips, then transfer to prepared pan and spread w/ spatula. Refrigerate until set, about 2 hours. Remove fudge from pan using foil and cut into squares.

1 comment: