Sunday, September 11, 2011

one more reason to legalize marijauna

Sat 9/10/11 was a bright day, moderately hot, but feeling it's full 20 degrees cooler that the 104s we had been having. One young man was on his first day as a delivery driver for a gravel and dirt company. He was excited, so excited he ran a car off the road on his first delivery. He reloaded the truck an went for run #2, during which he got stuck in a ditch, requiring a wrecker. Fortified by something, marijuana is a possibility, he ran the next load--18 yards of gravel--out amity road. He missed his turn onto South Moore coming east, but cleverly whipped into the drive at 2428 Amity Road to turn around. He backed out of the driveway with enough force to demolish David's mailbox ( the mail was only a little dusty, David, and the CDs play all right) and continue down into the ditch, you will remember a fairly steep ditch at that. His second wrecker of the day was required.
I always thought the in would be disastrous for someone to try to run over the mailbox because of the ditch which flip them over. but I never considered a running start from our side of the street. The kid now has one car in the ditch, the truck twice, two indestructo mailboxes out of commission, and no job. He might still have a few reefers.
We are making plans to replace what we can on a telephone pole sunk 4 feet into the ground. BB

3 comments:

  1. Wow. So was David's mailbox destroyed or just the post snapped off? I find it hard to believe that anything other than a direct hit from an ICBM could put the mailbox itself out of commission.

    I'm still waiting for it to dawn on me why legalizing marijuana makes it less likely that Danny Delivery Boy will be high.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know what would make this devastating loss more tolerable? Getting stoned.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As I was leaving your house the other day I couldn't believe my eyes at the lack of the indestructible mailbox. I wondered to myself did I see that right or is my mind playing tricks on me...again. So I am relieved that I saw the scene correctly, but saddened that David's mailbox has passed away!
    I do hope someone has a picture for the obit! It was such a great mailbox and the envy of the neighborhood.RIP

    ReplyDelete