Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Advent in Flagstaff

I was just talking with Sarah about how we're celebrating Advent this year, and she thought I should post, so here I am! It's been such a special time this year, probably more than any other I can remember. Some of that has to do with Sophie's age and comprehension, but it also has to do with how intentional we've been as a family. We're using the Family Worship book Josh and Emily gave me for my birthday this year to focus a very simple worship service each night. We start by lighting our advent wreath:

Then we sing, "Joy to the World!" (Sophie's rendition of it on the phone today made Essie cry!), and read from the Advent book Cody had when he was Sophie's age. She loves finding the right number and opening the window to see the picture. Then we read a scripture (I found a list of readings for children online), and each pray, then say the Lord's prayer together. We close with the Doxology and a scriptural benediction from our worship book. Sophie blows the candles out, and we're done! It's been so simple and so meaningful. Also, every night, as I put Sophie to bed, we light a tea light in her room and recite John 8:12 "Jesus said, 'I am the Light of the world. He who follows Me will not walk in darkness but shall have the light of life.'" She knows it verbatim now, and I love hearing her focused on the true meaning of Christmas! Merry Christmas to all of you! We love you!

2 comments:

  1. Love it. Thank you for that peak into your celebrations!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful. To make God smile and the rest of us cry! May we have the same opportunity with Daniel's children- we go to court on the 22nd (first day of Hanukkah- please pray for us!) Kelly

    ReplyDelete