Saturday, February 24, 2007

Life in DC

Hello to my wonderful family! This is my first post on this blog, or on any blog for that matter. Didn't think I would be blogging until I don't know when. Thanks to Ruthie, I have been chased onto the field, and I might say it's not bad. Warming up to it. Do I say hi to other, non-family folks who are reading? (This is all kind of weird.) Hello, to all who feel that they should be greeted.

OK. First, some pictures. I thought I'd show you guys a little view of life in DC. This first one is of last year at the cherry blossom festival. It was taken by some of Lynn's friends who were visiting from Texas. That's been one of the fun thing here. We seem to have quite a few friends, and a few family members who have been able to come for a visit. The cherry blossoms are absolutely stunning. For a few short days in Spring the Mall and adjacent tidal basin are rimmed in various shades of pink blossoms. A very joyous end to Winter.

Here we are in our respective houses (L in her cool basement, me in my kitchen).

And this is the church we attend, St. James in Virgina. We picked this church because L lived close by it when she first move out here. We both like it very much, so we've decided to stay even though it's now about a thirty minute drive every Sunday. Virginia is a nice state, but we favor Maryland more. MD has some idyllic, lush, rolling farmland outside of Baltimore that we've frequented a number of times. Additionally, for the practical Phoenix clan, VA has the bad habit of providing you with an interstate exit ramp without also providing an entrance ramp. While this system cleverly displays miles of VA countryside to unsuspecting tourists every year, the authorities still have not figured out why it's a negative experience.

There is, of course much more to life in DC. I'll keep posting, but here's a start. My church photo is a nice intro to my next reason for blogging. I would like to invite questions about our interest in Catholicism. I've wanted to talk about it together before now, but it never seems to work out. So, I've gotten the OK from Ruthie to start the conversation here. What do you all think?

More later, but good night for now.

D

2 comments:

  1. David, I am so proud of your first blog post! Way to go! Also, I would love to hear your (and Lynn's) thoughts about Catholicism. We'll be looking out for more from DC.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Deezer,
    This is a full-bore, I'm-dead-set-on-being-the-best-dang-blogger-on-the-Hill post! An impressive first run by any standard. Those pictures made me think--we've got to get down to DC to see the cherry blossoms this spring. I REALLY want to do this, so please keep this in mind as your schedule fills in. And if we only have a few days to catch them at their peak, we need to make sure to time it just right. Let's talk. Also, if you guys like the Maryland countryside so much, we ought to check into visiting the old Whittaker Chambers farm house. He had a farm outside Baltimore. MDW

    ReplyDelete