Monday, February 12, 2007

Thoughts on Grandad

Over the weekend I was able to fly back to Hot Springs for my grandfather's funeral. Unfortunately, Ruthie and the boys weren't able to go, but I felt very blessed to be with my family as we, and many in the community, honored Grandad. He'd lived in Hot Springs, with some interruptions for education and military service, since the age of nine. I remember growing up in Hot Springs thinking that literally everyone in town must know Grandad, so often was I told by people I'd just met what a good man and fine surgeon he was. From almost as early as we moved back to Hot Springs (I was nine), I recall being aware that he and my grandmother (Mary) had deeply rooted themselves in the community and that people loved and respected them for their kindness and virtue. Oddly enough, people loved me and my brothers because of them, and in this I began to see as a boy what it means to have a good name. I realize now how Grandad provided a foundation extending the breadth of our community for the work my parents directly undertook in seeking to model holiness and virtue for me and my brothers. It's the kind of foundation that requires years of faithful labor to build, and I count it a singular blessing of my life to have grown up upon it. And of course, Grandad served as a direct model for us. In many ways he informed my understanding of what it is to be a gentleman--to treat others with civility and particularly to care for one's family. One of my fondest memories of him is that of the time he drove his car up on the sidwalk of the church, across 50 feet of icy pavement to the church door to keep Meme from having to venture far into the cold. Of course, Meme dashed out to stop him. But I guess he was often oblivious to surroundings when single-mindedly pursuing a good end. One other funny thing I'll add about him because it never ceased to make me laugh out loud: Cousin Sus and I have noted that Grandad was the only person we'd ever met who would, with the greatest warmth and sincerity, greet you at your own door with "Welcome! Welcome!" as he walked in.
All thankfulness and joy for Grandad as he enters the rest and reward of a faithful servant of Christ.

1 comment:

  1. Matthew, what a great tribute to your grandfather's life, testimony, and impact on his immediate family and the wider community. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete